Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Activity 26 Digital Image Collections

I really enjoyed playing with this activity. I found two really neat websites that I would like to Blog. My favorite site was the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Digital Library System. This website contained a large collection of still images (photos) from ten different Fish and Wildlife libraries from around the country. They are working on improving the Keyword search feature, but I did a few subject searches and was impressed. As and example I put in a search for Polar Bears, which resulted in 29 records. Once I chose an image to investigate further, I was given the option of downloading the image to my computer. Some came in different sizes so it allowed my to make a choice. I especially liked the fact that it presented me with all the information needed to do a proper citation for the image.
The other website I visited was the NYPL Digital Gallery Their images are arranged by categories. If you knew the category the image you were searching for fell under, one could just search that category. If not the library would search all ten categories. This Free website is divided into Arts and Literature, Cities and Buildings, Culture and Society, History and Geography, Industry and Technology, Nature and Science, and Printing and Graphics.

I didn't stop to search it very far, but the Smithsonian also had a Digital Library listed, as well as many other museums. Students seem to think that the only place to go is a goggle image search. It is nice to point out that there are many other choices out there to explore.

No comments: