Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Activity 24 Online Gaming

I have been exploring what is out there for educational games on line. That is when I could access the website. Sometimes I would get partway into the site and then up pops the district block. However I did find some that I could explore. I had a lot of fun with www.theproblemsite.com. There were several higher level thinking games for students to explore. I am participating in the game Treasure Hunt. I am still trying to solve the first clue. The game weaves this great story in which I have to figure out what does a turtle, the moon, a car and the human ear all have in common? I liked that it allowed the student to search for the answers without logging out of the game. Once you think you know the answer the game allows the user to enter temporarily the answer (not that you can't go back and change it) before heading on to the next clue. Once you have solved all the clues you enter your answers and if correct you can "win the Treasure".

I also explored a game site for the Houghton Mifflin publishing company that works with their textbooks. I found myself hooked on the matching game. Reminded me of the old concentration game I use to play as a child, OH SO MANY YEARS AGO!

It seemed as if one could basically find a game to work on almost any skill you want on any grade level. It might not be exactly what you are hoping for but it sure is fun looking. It is surprising what one forgets when not required to regurgitate the skill on a daily basis. I might have to look the monitor straight on and admit " I'm not smarter than a Fifth Grader!"

No comments: